In Rai di San Polo, near the stony banks of the Piave, are the ruins of an ancient tower, the crumbling remnants of a castle with origins lost in the early Middle Ages. Some historians believe that it was built by Venetian people as protection against Hungarian invaders. Others, that it served as a Templar garrison. Distant memories linger around the tower that echo in local folklore, including stories of mysterious apparitions said to appear on nights when the moon is full.
Legends like these, passed down through the ages, are the inspiration behind the insignia for Bonotto wines, a carefully chosen symbol of the nexus between tradition and territory.
The story begins in 1870, when the founder Giuseppe first brought barrels of wine to Venice. Next, it was Vincenzo who began to develop the business, followed by Giorgio, who shaped the quality of the product. Today, Riccardo has inherited the passion for wine and love of the land that has been the heritage of the Bonotto clan for decades.
Across the generations, the Bonotto family have handed down techniques of winemaking as well as ethical values such as appreciation for tradition, respect for the environment and a deep regard for the character of the wine.
The Giorgio Bonotto winery personally cultivates the valued grapevines on an 18-hectare estate in the alluvial plain by the Piave river. All stages of the winemaking process are managed with extreme care in the cutting-edge facilities, allowing each variety to express its own characteristics in a balance between tradition and research.